Civilizations
Campaign Guides
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
AOE ROR OSX MAC [RELEASE] El Capitan 2015 [UPDATED 11/29/15]
AKC_Pico
Hi all!

Sorry for the late response, totally been way more busy then expected. Multiplayer is confirmed NOT working, probably due to the nature of how this port runs. I'll look into fixing this as soon as possible. Sorry again!

Pico / David

pico-games.com/images/akcpicosignature3.png

www.pico-games.com/images/pico_sig2.gif

www.pico-games.com
slick
Hi Pico, thanks for porting AOE into Mac OS. Can you get rid of that black screen refresh issue? It's annoying...

ace37
Hello everyone!

I'm having the same black and white screen problem.

For a quick description, the menu screen is completely blacked or whited out. Pressing enter does nothing to fix it and just advances through the menus. In gameplay the top half of the screen is blacked out or whited out. It is dynamic as it tends to flash as you move around but it does not go away. This is fairly integral to the game as resources are posted on the top border of the screen.

Ok so looking for a possible solution. I have worked with quiet a few ports similar to this one with similar issues. In my experience this issues is coming from one of 2 things. Either the no cd patch is doing something to the screen (basically suppressing the "you dont have a cd so gtfo" message) or its being caused by the fact that the game is forced into full screen. The former is sometimes fixed simply by putting the game into windowed mode. This would be a really easy fix if this port was done through wineskin, which i am honestly a lot more experienced in.

Therefore I think the first attempt to solve the black/white screen problem is to try to force the game into a windowed mode. The problem is that i have so far been unsuccessful in doing so. I first tried the suggestions others here have made so I tried shift + tab, but that command is useless on macs. So I then used the old cmd + tab which switched me over to finder, as described here by another user. However this too did not solve the problem as it left the game in full screen meaning when i went back to AoE the game was still in full screen with the same black/white top of the screen problem.

I would love to make this port work, but I just need to get a work around as currently the game is very close, but still unplayable.

Many thanks to AKC_Pico for uploading this port, I hope we can find a solution!

Sam

jdeese88
Hey! Thanks for the port. I'm also having the issue with the top portion of the game being block with white :(

Are there any updates on how to make this go away?

Thanks again

Renaissanceman
Hey all,

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Love the port but wondering if anyone had figured out/heard of anyone whose fixed the issue?

Renaissanceman

fatfrankie123
i am also having this issue, please help.smile

Zanchana
Any fix for this yet? Just installed and having the same issue. Very brief flashes of menu then get to see most of screen (bottom 2/3) once in game, but when exiting back out to menu can't see anything again. Sometimes grey screen, sometimes white, black or white with diagonal black stripes. Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2010 model, 2.4 GHz, OSX Yosemite 10.10.3. THANKS!: )

AKC_Pico
Hi All. I will update the game soon. Thanks!

www.pico-games.com
Wholegrain Cereal
Hello,

Just to let you know of a potential fix for the white screen/ visual glitches issue some of you were posting about.

For me (running Yosemite 10.10.3 on a mid 2010 macbook pro) changing the in-game resolution to 640x480, and then restarting the game solved all the visual problems.

You can even change the resolution in game back to the default without the visual issues cropping up again. Although it seems that, for now, you have to exit the game with the resolution set at 640x480 to access the menu properly the next time you play the game.

Hope this helps.

EDIT-

After some more trial and error, it would appear that this workaround only works when I have my external monitor hooked up. Very strange indeed!

AKC_Pico
Hi folks,

******* UPDATE FOR EL CAPITAN (11/29/15) *******

Sorry for taking so long to address everyone's issues. I've updated AOE ROR for El Capitan as of today, please update your OS if you are not on OSX El Capitan yet and download the new package from the first post in this thread:

http://pico-games...rowstart=0

(note: the mavericks download is still online for those no on el capitan)

Thank you!

AKC_Pico

www.pico-games.com
Aoefan
i would love to install this wrapper on my Mac but it is full of viruses, Trojans and back doors. I know they are Windows viruses and will not effect my mac but I don't really want to be spreading these viruses from the wrapper to other Windows computers. Any chance of a clean version of the wrapper?

AKC_Pico
Aoefan wrote:

i would love to install this wrapper on my Mac but it is full of viruses, Trojans and back doors. I know they are Windows viruses and will not effect my mac but I don't really want to be spreading these viruses from the wrapper to other Windows computers. Any chance of a clean version of the wrapper?

I developed this wrapper *myself*, there are absolutely NO viruses, trojans, or any other malicious code/programs. I'm not sure why you would think so?

www.pico-games.com
Aoefan
AKC_Pico wrote:

Aoefan wrote:

I developed this wrapper *myself*, there are absolutely NO viruses, trojans, or any other malicious code/programs. I'm not sure why you would think so?

Thanks for your reply. I did a virus scan of the contents of wrapper using virus total online and both Trojan and backdroors were detected. I'm sure the wrapper in itself is perfectly clean and without having the results in front of me I can only assume the issue is with the game files and most likely a patch?

I actually have a wrapper of age of empires 1 which I have used on older versions of Mac OS X, however this is no longer supported by El Capitan hence why I want to download your wrapper. The old wrapper does not show any viruses when scanning with virus total.

I appreciate your work and would love to try it out on El Capitan but I'm a bit reluctant to install something which is shown to contain viruses especially when I have run an age of empires 1 wrapper on mac which does not contain any viruses according to the same scan.

P.S. It detected:

AOESETUP.exe - Trojan.VB.Win32.152310

Data/closedpw.exe - Backdoor.Ramnit.Win32.2911

AKC_Pico
Hi Aoefan,

The previous wrapper you talked about is most likely mine too as I am the only one I know of in the Age of Empires community to have ported the game for Mac OSX. I can only tell you this with 100% certainty:

1. There are no viruses/trojans in my wrappers. If you downloaded the wrapped from ANYWHERE OTHER THAN HERE than YES it could be corrupted. If you download it from Pico-Games.com, I can 100% guarantee that this is a safe file.

2. The only thing I could possibly imagine it catching is that the port is a No-CD port, which means the game is modified so that it can play without a physical CD, which sometimes a virus program will mistake as a virus. I highly doubt this is the issue but it *could* be.

3. THOUSANDS (almost 10,000 now) have downloaded my wrapper and played it in many communities, you are the first to report a virus. I know you may be reluctant, but if you downloaded it from this site, you need not worry.

Otherwise, I really can't offer anything else for advice, if you still do not trust the file, you may just be unable to play it on Mac.

p.s. AOESetup.exe would not be able to be run on your Mac anyways as exe's are unknown to MAC's, the exe would run within the wrapper environment, so even IF it did contain malicious code, it wouldn't be able to access your computer. This is more technical aspect but I thought to mention it.

Wish I could help more.

Pico

www.pico-games.com
hstheman
I have an issue with the mouse pointer jumping all over the place.
Im playing on a 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro on Mac OS 10.12.3 Sierra. Any fix? or do I just have to live with it?

Jump to Forum: